Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'daler'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/daler/public_html/yorkshirehub.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/sofa-front-post/sofa-front-post.php on line 236

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/daler/public_html/yorkshirehub.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/sofa-front-post/sofa-front-post.php on line 236

Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/daler/public_html/yorkshirehub.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/sofa-front-post/sofa-front-post.php on line 236
Residents warned about using electrics this winter - Yorkshire Hub

Residents warned about using electrics this winter

unsafe electrics

As winter sets in, residents across Leeds are expected to turn to their electrical appliances for comfort and warmth. Because of this, West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS) has issued warning about the dangers of using electrics.

Just this year, there have been 350 fires already attributed to unsafe electrics and 112 happened in Leeds alone.

Fault in the appliance has been shown to be the leading cause with 59 cases, followed by faulty fuel supply with 23 cases. 11 cases have been due to negligence and another 11 have been due to overheating.

Appliances that have been prone to causing fire were revealed to be washing machines or dryers with 13 cases, cooking appliances with 9 cases and heating equipment with 8 cases.

Fire chiefs fear that more fires involving appliances could happen as winter sets in.

District prevention manager for Leeds Lisa Toner provided electrical fire preventing tips such as using appliances that are properly working, not overloading plug sockets, using correct appliances chargers and switching off appliances not in use.

The warning has been made as part of the national Electric Fire Safety Week which is happening from November 10 to 16. Fire Kills, a government organisation, leads the event in conjunction with Electrical Safety First, a charity aiming to reduce deaths and injury caused by electricity in the home.

Electrical related incidents have been shown to cause about 70 people deaths and 350,000 serious injuries annually across the UK.

Doing simple checks that can identify and rectify the dangers of electrical appliances could prevent electrical related incidents.

Fire safety tips are available on www.westyorksfire.gov.uk. A free Home Fire Safety Check can be booked by visiting the website, calling 0800 5874536 or visiting the nearest fire station.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

loading...